Almost two months ago, I published an article that many described as a rant about Canon Speedlites. The last of 17 points that I raised was “Give me a breath of hope that Canon actually cares about their Speedlite system.” [You can read the whole list along with the thoughts of more than 200 Canon shooters from around the globe here.]
I want to be the first to fall on my sword and say that I now believe that Canon does care about us Speedliters. Among the many new features described in this morning’s announcement of the 7D is that the pop-up flash will work as a wireless commander for Speedlites. Sure, it’s not a big thing – most pro shooters don’t have cameras with pop-up flashes. Sure, there are many more powerful features that I’m still hoping they will add to a future generation of flash. But, it is a step in the right direction. It’s a sign that Canon is paying attention and wants to make their Speedlite system competitive.
The 7D has a host of other equally important features that indicate that Canon does care about a wide range of uses for their gear. Having just spent the weekend at the Collision Conference in Hollywood, I’ve no doubt that the 7D will extend Canon’s lead in the field of DSLR-based cinema. Beyond cinematography, the new auto-focus system, the new viewfinder technology… the list of reasons for still shooters to be excited about Canon’s future is long.
Many others have written detailed reports about the new features of the 7D. DPReview’s coverage, of course, is stellar. As for the utility of the pop-up for wireless control, as soon as I can get my hands on a 7D, I’ll put it to the Speedliter’s test and let you know. Click on the pic below to go to Canon’s official 7D page.
Follow Syl On Twitter
- Golden hour crashing into blue hour at 34,000'. A pleasant treat near the end of a long day in the air. http://t.co/rDiirnhyK1, Aug 24
- Just landed at CLT. Also landed in PHX & DEN today. Definitely taking the long way round from SBP to BOS. 1 more hop! http://t.co/UeCSlQJXSp, Aug 23
- This Week In Photo 373: Monkey Business http://t.co/BsuNk1nBoA, Aug 17
- Modifying Speedlites -13 min tutorial- discusses 3 main reasons & mods > http://t.co/l7XS720zVu http://t.co/eP3a7mDNc0, Jul 30
- BTS: Mermaid Swimming With Tuna, via @BorrowLenses > http://t.co/E0icwSWzxW http://t.co/lkzSedtyDD, Jul 30
Syl on Instagram
Cruise PixSylated By Topic