Canon-Europe commissioned me to write a four-part series on Speedliting for their Canon Pro Network site. If you’ve not checked out the CPN site, you should spend some time there. The first two parts of my series are online now. Parts 3 and 4 will be published online during the next two months.
In my guest blog on Tiffinbox, I respond to seven excuses for not using flash.
• “I’m a purist and only use available light.”
• “I don’t need flash because I can always turn the ISO up.”
• “I always shoot in bright light, so I don’t need flash.”
“To create interesting light, you have to create interesting shadows.” My favorite mantra has a new outlet. Dubai’s Gulf Photo Plus has kindly published my article Shadowing and Other Revolutionary Ideas For Speedliting. In the article, I share three fundamental concepts that I use every time I shoot.
Many Speedliters are fond of using the ST-E2 Wireless Transmitter in lieu of a master Speedlite. I am not among them. In fact, I discourage people from getting the ST-E2.
The thinking in favor of the ST-E2 is that it is about half the price of a 580-series Speedlite. I [...]
When Speedliting, it always gets down to flash power – how much power and how it is set. You can dial the power level in manually. Or you can have your camera and Speedlite work together to calculate the power level automatically via E-TTL. Both modes have their strengths. Both modes have their shortcomings. [...]
If I were to announce…
that Canon introduced the world’s best interface for flash control–a Speedlite interface that was big, colorful, and easy-to-understand–you would think it was news…right? You might also think it was fantasy. Well, it’s real and I’m three years late in making that announcement. It happened in mid-2007, when Canon released [...]
A confusing point for many Speedliters is how to start with off-camera flash. Frequently, I am asked, “I have one 430EX. What’s the best way for me to get it off-camera?” The person asking thinks of this as a simple question. After running through several options, the complexity of the question becomes [...]
There is a lot to learn about Speedliting. I’ve spent years honing my craft. Yet, I still learn new techniques and come upon new bits of inspiration all the time.
When you are starting out, it can be hard to know where to start. Here are 15 tips about Speedliting that you should know as [...]
Follow Syl On Twitter
- Golden hour crashing into blue hour at 34,000'. A pleasant treat near the end of a long day in the air. http://t.co/rDiirnhyK1, Aug 24
- Just landed at CLT. Also landed in PHX & DEN today. Definitely taking the long way round from SBP to BOS. 1 more hop! http://t.co/UeCSlQJXSp, Aug 23
- This Week In Photo 373: Monkey Business http://t.co/BsuNk1nBoA, Aug 17
- Modifying Speedlites -13 min tutorial- discusses 3 main reasons & mods > http://t.co/l7XS720zVu http://t.co/eP3a7mDNc0, Jul 30
- BTS: Mermaid Swimming With Tuna, via @BorrowLenses > http://t.co/E0icwSWzxW http://t.co/lkzSedtyDD, Jul 30
Syl on Instagram
Cruise PixSylated By Topic