Canon-Europe commissioned me to write a four-part series on Speedliting for their Canon Pro Network site. If you’ve not checked out the CPN site, you should spend some time there. The first two parts of my series are online now. Parts 3 and 4 will be published online during the next two months.
In my guest blog on Tiffinbox, I respond to seven excuses for not using flash.
• “I’m a purist and only use available light.”
• “I don’t need flash because I can always turn the ISO up.”
• “I always shoot in bright light, so I […]
“To create interesting light, you have to create interesting shadows.” My favorite mantra has a new outlet. Dubai’s Gulf Photo Plus has kindly published my article Shadowing and Other Revolutionary Ideas For Speedliting. In the article, I share three fundamental concepts that I use every time I shoot.
Many Speedliters are fond of using the ST-E2 Wireless Transmitter in lieu of a master Speedlite. I am not among them. In fact, I discourage people from getting the ST-E2.
The thinking in favor of the ST-E2 is that it is about half the price of a 580-series Speedlite. I concur: […]
When Speedliting, it always gets down to flash power – how much power and how it is set. You can dial the power level in manually. Or you can have your camera and Speedlite work together to calculate the power level automatically via E-TTL. Both modes have their strengths. Both modes have their shortcomings. […]
If I were to announce…
that Canon introduced the world’s best interface for flash control–a Speedlite interface that was big, colorful, and easy-to-understand–you would think it was news…right? You might also think it was fantasy. Well, it’s real and I’m three years late in making that announcement. It happened in mid-2007, when Canon released […]
A confusing point for many Speedliters is how to start with off-camera flash. Frequently, I am asked, “I have one 430EX. What’s the best way for me to get it off-camera?” The person asking thinks of this as a simple question. After running through several options, the complexity […]
There is a lot to learn about Speedliting. I’ve spent years honing my craft. Yet, I still learn new techniques and come upon new bits of inspiration all the time.
When you are starting out, it can be hard to know where to start. Here are 15 tips about Speedliting that you should know as […]
Follow Syl On Twitter
- Researching Antiquarian Photo Books on https://t.co/tbars5lazj https://t.co/ogKSbJB1f8 https://t.co/bZSSZzi75D, Jun 17
- Sticking Our Necks Out To Do The Right Thing https://t.co/GSmBvZF2NB https://t.co/Wo7Zv9H7oB, May 30
- Summer Flash Photography Workshop in Montana https://t.co/XJS2BOtTXV https://t.co/kg1KFCXPQ5, Apr 27
- Recent Works: Fall 2016 https://t.co/ajz7T1i0ba https://t.co/1G9w3pi8Vt, Nov 23
- ‘Color Ribbon 9775’ To Be Shown In NYC At The Aperture Foundation Summer Open 2016 https://t.co/qsZUqL7h2t https://t.co/lDWsCkzQIq, Jun 3
Cruise PixSylated By Topic