There are two options for wireless communication built into the 600EX-RT Speedlite system: radio OR optical. If you are using only 600EX-RTs as slaves, then take advantage of the radio system. The range is longer than optical wireless and you won’t have to worry about the signal being blocked by […]
The difference between Master Enabled and Master Disabled is a simple and essential concept for Speedliters shooting wireless flash. Yet, many Canonistas (myself included back in the day) draw the understandable conclusion that Master Disabled means that the master is not a master. It’s an understandable, but incorrect, conclusion.
Master Enabled means […]
Canon’s Digital Learning Center recently posted the video of my December presentation Mastering the Speedlite 600EX-RT. I had a great time at the Canon Hollywood Professional Technology Center. Thanks to all the Speedliters who attended.
If you’re looking for tips on how to maximize the potential of your […]
I receive many questions about the batteries that I use in my Speedlites. Here is the exact gear that I use to keep them well fed and happy.
Eneloop AA Rechargeable Ni-MH Batteries—If you’re a power Speedliter, then rechargeable batteries are the only way to go. I use Eneloops because their chemistry–low-discharge, nickel metal-hydride (Ni-MH)–means […]
I fell in love during my quick trip to Toronto this week. In the Canon Canada booth at the Exposure Photo & Video Expo, I met up with, held, and played with the new Canon EOS M — a very compact camera that […]
Just a quick announcement to say that registration is now open for the free Speedliting seminar that I will present at Canon’s Hollywood Tech Center on Tuesday, June 12. I will be discussing the […]
Here is the first of two videos that we shot this week while I was evaluating Canon’s new 600EX-RT Speedlite and the ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter. Go with me on location for a series of quick shoots where I put the new gear to the test indoors and outside. Later, in Part Two, I’ll take you […]
Gels are an inexpensive way to turn a boring set into a space filled with ambiance. Three Speedlites, two gels, a random mirror, and a mini softbox enabled me to turn a small, unfinished cellar (above left) into the colorful set for a model’s portfolio shoot (above right).
There are no hard and […]
Follow Syl On Twitter
- Aida Muluneh's "The Departure" Graces Cover of UNESCO Global Report 2018: Re|Shaping… https://t.co/gJI8tS1Skq https://t.co/FnMg0BaTG4, Dec 24
- Getting Floppy…The State of Digital Photography, Circa 1997 https://t.co/gPz4f7asAT https://t.co/HTSbtX8Xzv, Sep 15
- Check out the worldwide selection of winners from the 2017 Moscow Foto Awards > https://t.co/zaxb7FbGRR, Sep 9
- PhotoFairs Shanghai starts next week. Check it out online > https://t.co/Pqn6EiTsPv, Sep 1
- Free download: "The Photographer’s Guide to Publishing Photo Books" from @photoshelter and @BlurbBooks: https://t.co/getbvatsIU, Aug 9
Cruise PixSylated By Topic