My latest project is a 24-page booklet on creating off-camera light with Canon Speedlites. The Quick Start is a mini field guide (5.5″ x 8.5″) that covers the fundamentals of creating great light with Speedlites. While oriented towards those just starting with off-camera flash, it contains loads of tips for shooters at all levels. The Quick Start will be available as a PDF via electronic download and as a printed booklet. All the details, including sneak peeks inside, will be available here in about two weeks.

17 Responses to Coming Soon: Quick Start Guide to Off-Camera Flash With Canon Speedlites

1. Joe says:

I am looking forward to this book. I do want to point out something that always bothers me. I happen to be a graphic designer and a photographer. I make money in both fields evenly. Most photographers have the software to make their own publications, but shouldn’t. Please hire a professional to do the layout. This one is really busy and hard to read.

2. Wanda Willoughby says:

Can’t wait since I just got my transmitter today. I hope you either write another book or do another tutorial for Kelby Training just on the 600 EX-RT

3. George Van Buren says:

Looking forward to your booklet

4. Glenn William Miller says:

Anticipating this Quick Start Guide, thank you. It will be read and reread like your books.

5. David says:

Great news!
    I will probably go for the printed version as I find this format preferable for reference purposes, but who knows I may even go for both :-)
    Having invested heavily I hope you deal with the 600 EX-RT and ST-E3_RT

Thanks
    Hurry hurry!

6. Jim Reynolds says:

Can’t wait to read Thanks Jim R.

7. Jim Sodero says:

Sly, I am looking forward to your book, but I wonder if you would have a quick answer to a question for me. I just purcahsed a 7D and two 600 flashes and was looking forward to finally controling true wirelessly. In reading the 600 manual, it looks like I still need a flash in the hotshoe. Is that correct?

• Syl Arena says:

Jim – You can control the 600s optically via the pop-up on your 7D. You can use one 600 in the hotshoe as a master talking via radio to the other 600. You can move that master off-camera on an extra-long ETTL cord, set it up as an enabled master, and have it contribute valuable light to the shot and control the slave via radio. Here’s the source of my extra-long ETTL cords > http://ocfgear.com/ You can also use the ST-E3-RT transmitter in the hotshoe to control the slaved 600s via radio.

8. david says:

Let us pre order this bad boy to go with my other two books.

9. Tim Roe says:

Soooo…. Any ETA on the booklet yet?

10. David says:

Any ideas as to how soon is coming soon?

Smiles from miles

11. Jerry Coffey says:

any release date on the quick start guide ????

12. marcus says:

Where can i find Quick Start Guide to Off Camera Flash with Canon Speed Lights

13. Jeffrey Perez says:

Has the Quick Start Guide to Off-Camera Flash With Canon Speedlites been published??? Is it available for free or purchase??? Please post updated details this is old information. Its been a while.

14. Tom Gilmore says:

I’d really like to get a copy of your quick start guide. When will it be available? I enjoyed your B&H video on flash photography. I’m just getting into it with my Canon 60D.

15. Gordon Kleiner says:

I would like to buy a copy of your quick guide

• Syl Arena says:

Gordon – Thanks for your interest. OCFGear.com is launching a new site in June. My Quick Start Guide should be available as a download around June 15.