We photographers add loads of tension to our lives. We work so hard to perfect our craft, but continue to think that we are not good enough yet. We stress over not having the right gear. We find all kinds of reasons to not shoot and to not share our photos.
Most of us, who are serious about creating great images, remember a time when making photographs was fun, spontaneous, and easy. Yet, we get all tangled up and photography becomes a stressor rather than a release.
I wrote years ago that I take mental photos all the time (LIDLIPS #36 here). I’d see something interesting and say “Snap.” Now, I reach for my iPhone and take that snap. I try to do this at least once a day–stop my life for a moment and make a photo for the joy of making the photo.
These pix don’t have to relate to anything. They are not part of a series. Many of them are not even “good.” That does not matter. What does matter is that when I’m inspired by or drawn to something I see, I stop and shoot. It’s so easy to decide not to shoot for a million reasons. It’s so easy to decide to shoot as well.
I’ve been posting these snaps on Instagram for the past six weeks. I avoided the Instagram craze for a long time. Now, I find it’s a convenient way to stay connected to the playfullness that brought me into photography way back when.
Follow Syl On Twitter
- NYC Speedliters: this Thurs. 10:00a @BH_Event_Space “New Frontiers For Lighting W/ Canon Speedlites” Free reg. https://t.co/btvJkXvuC2, Oct 20
- TWiP 434: Photography, Evolved. http://t.co/opzdg56Rfm http://t.co/1i7XmiqeEX, Oct 18
- It's official. #Canon's new radio Speedlite, the 430EX III-RT, is now out in the wild. Just arrived. http://t.co/kbCpdNDyPk, Oct 10
- Canon’s new 430EX III-RT Speedlite now shipping from Amazon > http://t.co/loiXDpg4AH The wait is over!, Oct 9
- Save The Dates: NYC Speedliting Events During PhotoPlus Expo http://t.co/OZBEYzjlkI http://t.co/uEHVIpL9tV, Oct 8
Cruise PixSylated By Topic