I’m convinced that we are turning into a world of scanners. Everyone wants to know more, yet wants to read less. I think this evolution is due the fact that we carry the WWW in our pockets these days. My response…I just rewrote the bio on my portfolio site.
My previous bio talked about me in the third person (even though I wrote it). “Syl does this and that…” My thinking was that the narrator’s voice sounded more authoritative than my own. The content talked mostly about my photographic abilities.
My new bio is in the first person. I want prospective clients to know me as a person first and as an imagemaker second. So, I lead off with the fact that my wife, Amy, and I met when we were young kids. It’s a memorable point. I want the folks who read it to remember me.
For the scanners, I now use paragraphs with one or two sentences. The old bio had three blocky paragraphs. The new bio has ten streamlined paragraphs. It is 38 words shorter than the old one (174 vs. 212 = 18% reduction). Yet, it says so much more about me.
The more time we spend online, the more important it is for photographers to market themselves as real and memorable people. Whose voice are you using? What is it saying about you?
Follow Syl On Twitter
- Great explanation of how fill-flash works w/ different exposure modes > http://t.co/RECeLJSzT0 via @p4pictures, 23 hours ago
- Just want to say THANKS @Dropbox for increasing the size of my Pro account 10x without charging more. 2TB cloud storage makes life easier!, 23 hours ago
- Two-day dance photography workshop by the amazing @davidcooperphot > http://t.co/KMfVjSknqT, Sep 1
- Golden hour crashing into blue hour at 34,000'. A pleasant treat near the end of a long day in the air. http://t.co/rDiirnhyK1, Aug 24
- Just landed at CLT. Also landed in PHX & DEN today. Definitely taking the long way round from SBP to BOS. 1 more hop! http://t.co/UeCSlQJXSp, Aug 23
Syl on Instagram
Cruise PixSylated By Topic