It’s been a crazy spring around the Arena household as proven by my lack of blogging. One of the recent highlights was my ‘Strobes and Speedlites’ workshop that I held in my hometown of Paso Robles. I had a great group of students — the posse pictured above. For a week, we played with big lights and with small lights. As you will see below, they produced outstanding work in a wide variety of locations.
Thanks to the support of BorrowLenses.com, we had a good selection of Profoto and Elinchrom lights and mods. To round out the large light mix, I pulled out my Paul Buff Einsteins. So it’s fair to say that we had the Mercedes, Porche and Kia of big lights.
My friends at F.J. Westcott supported the workshop by providing a full set of grids for their Apollo softboxes. For Speedliting, I still say that the Apollo Orb and Apollo Medium are outstanding light mods. They open up like an umbrella (meaning quickly) and create beautiful light. The grids are a great addition to the Apollo line and they limit the spread of light while maintaining the softness of the large source.
I have three more week-long workshops this summer. So, if you are looking to push out the horizon of your lighting techniques, I hope that you’ll join me at one of them. The first two workshops focus on my approach to using large lights on location. The third workshop is specific to my Canon Speedliting techniques.
- Crafting Dramatic Light on Location – Santa Fe Workshops, July 8-13
- Creative Lighting on Location – Maine Media Workshops, July 29- August 4
- Canon Speedlites Demystified – Maine Media Workshops, August 19-25
I’m now driving to New Mexico with two of my three sons. Tomorrow we’ll join a group of Boy Scouts and Venturers from Paso Robles for a 12-day backpacking trek at Philmont. So, in the meantime, enjoy some of my favorite pix from my ‘Strobes and Speedlights’ students. I’ll be back online in early July.
Gregg Le Blanc
Teresa O’Brien Nguyen
Special Thanks To B&H, Borrow Lenses, & Westcott
Follow Syl On Twitter
- Getting Floppy…The State of Digital Photography, Circa 1997 https://t.co/gPz4f7asAT https://t.co/HTSbtX8Xzv, Sep 15
- Check out the worldwide selection of winners from the 2017 Moscow Foto Awards > https://t.co/zaxb7FbGRR, Sep 9
- PhotoFairs Shanghai starts next week. Check it out online > https://t.co/Pqn6EiTsPv, Sep 1
- Free download: "The Photographer’s Guide to Publishing Photo Books" from @photoshelter and @BlurbBooks: https://t.co/getbvatsIU, Aug 9
- Charming video about the first cell phone photo in 1997 > https://t.co/sfEkbwLKhy, Jun 29
Cruise PixSylated By Topic