Is a week-long summer photography workshop right for you? It depends upon whether you want to invest a week shooting and lighting or spend a week lounging around the pool. I love the workshop-way of teaching photography—collaborative, hands-on, and fun. If you are looking to take your understanding of lighting to a higher level, then I hope that you will join me for one of my week-long workshops this summer.
Rocky Mountain Workshops
Missoula, Montana • June 14–20, 2014
Rocky Mountain School of Photography runs a wide range of great photo courses in beautiful Missoula, Montana and at locations across the country. My Flash Photography workshop will replace fear about lighting with understanding and empowerment. We will start with the basics and build daily so that you can make informed decisions about how to shoot with flash in a wide-range of situations. The workshop includes location shoots both indoors and out. Workshop information.
Santa Fe Photographic Workshops
Crafting Dramatic Light With Small Strobes
Santa Fe, New Mexico • July 6–13, 2014
This will be my third summer teaching in Santa Fe. The workshop is open to shooters of all brands of gear. We learn to manage the ambient light with our camera settings and then to shape light and shadow with electronic flash. The emphasis is on crafting dramatic light—light the way you want it to be. We use hotshoe flash as well as lightweight, battery-pack strobes, plus an arsenal of modifiers, to shoot on a variety of locations around Santa Fe. Note: if you are a Nikonian, as a Nikon-sponsored school, SFPW has Nikon gear available for use by students. Workshop information.
Maine Media Workshops
Canon Speedlites Demystified
Rockport, Maine • August 24–30, 2014
If you are a Canonista who wants to learn to shoot flash, this is the workshop for you. Unlike my other workshops, which are non-denominational, Canon Speedlites Demystified focuses on crafting great light with Canon Speedlites. We will start with one Speedlite and build our way to using multiple Speedlites—including the new, radio-enabled 600EX-RT system. As a Canon-sponsored school, Maine Media has Canon gear available for student use. This will be my fourth summer returning to Maine’s beautiful central coast…maybe it’s the Friday-night lobster feed. Workshop page.
Questions? Feel free to submit them as a comment.
Syl on Instagram
Follow Syl On Twitter
- Google’s Gigapixel Art Camera https://t.co/3hYhRWc9JK https://t.co/X16trcVnSK, May 19
- Please sign the petition to save Fujifilm FP-100C > https://t.co/Sa6jvf6FYC Fuji needs to know that instant pack film is still important., Mar 31
- As a stroke survivor, I’m glad to be alive…literally > https://t.co/Z1lL89vGx6. Thanks to all who prayed and sent words of support. I'm well, Mar 30
- NYC Speedliters: this Thurs. 10:00a @BH_Event_Space “New Frontiers For Lighting W/ Canon Speedlites” Free reg. https://t.co/btvJkXvuC2, Oct 20
- TWiP 434: Photography, Evolved. http://t.co/opzdg56Rfm http://t.co/1i7XmiqeEX, Oct 18
Cruise PixSylated By Topic