I am pleased to announce that I have officially started working on my next book. Light and Lighting will be published in June by Peachpit Press (the publisher of my Speedliter’s Handbook). As part of Peachpit’s From Snapshots to Great Shots series, it will present fundamental concepts about light and various techniques of photographic lighting at a level accessible to novice shooters.
My main goal for the book is to take a photographer who is moving beyond the realm of the point-and-shoot and introduce him/her to the basics of how to use light in a variety of situations. Unlike the Speedliter’s Handbook, which heads deep into flash photography, Light and Lighting will explore the use and shaping of natural light as much as it does artificial light—flash, tungsten, fluorescent, and LED.
I’ve outlined eight chapters—although this is subject to change over the next four months as I actually write and shoot the book:
1. The Five Characteristics of Light
2. Available Light–Outdoors
3. Available Light–Indoors
4. Lights For Photographers
5. Lighting Still-Life, Product, and Nature
6. Headshots and Group Shots With One Light
7. Headshots and Group Shots With Multiple Lights
8. Action, Sports, and Motion
The book is already available for pre-order here on Amazon. If all goes as planned, it will start shipping at the end of June.
Follow Syl On Twitter
- It’s been a long time coming…the completely updated ‘Speedliter’s Handbook’ is finally shipping! Details > http://t.co/kVy76QM4GW, Aug 19
- New toys for DIY #togs: Plans for the Focal Camera is now open source and online! http://t.co/eAzBFsrHgA, Aug 18
- Check out these great pix! Nat. Geo. Traveler Photo Contest winners > http://t.co/VfV8VDk8LY, Aug 13
- Sound advise on training a photo assistant > https://t.co/NugMx8Teiz, Aug 10
- GIVEAWAY EXPIRES IN A FEW HOURS! Win a set of the world’s BEST iPhone lenses (@Moment) http://t.co/jlLgrXlbQr via @davidmolnar, Aug 10
Cruise PixSylated By Topic