Lighting Persona, the second of my two December presentations in the Event Space at B&H Photo’s NYC superstore, is now on YouTube. In this video, I go through a number of shoots and the ways I shaped light to create the persona of the subject. Although my first session, Multi-Flash Speedliting (here on YouTube) was specific to Canon Speedlites, the concepts in Lighting Persona apply to all types of light — large and small, flash and continuous.
In the presentation, I talk about:
- Deciding Whether You Are a Pictorialist Or a Documentarian
- Why Lighting Is Really About Shadowing
- Controlling Ambient Light For Creative Effect
- Hard and Soft: Shaping Light To Match Your Vision
- Using Gels For Color Correction and Dramatic Effect
For a more detailed look at how I shoot with flash, including footage from a number of studio and location shoots, check out my Multi-Speedlite Course on Kelby Training.
Follow Syl On Twitter
- Pushing hard to finish the new Speedliter's Handbook. Generations of Canon cameras and Speedlites… http://t.co/dRvHUOdGJS, 21 hours ago
- 25 Yr Timeline of What Mattered Most in Photography, per @AmericanPhoto > http://t.co/Q3QlcvsibB, Jan 24
- Sports Illustrated Lays Off All Staff Photographers…sad, but not surprising > https://t.co/B9LLX0SvM8, Jan 24
- Summer Speedliting Workshops, check out the dates > http://t.co/q7YOyA2x1V, Jan 24
- Good read: The Invention of the “Snapshot” Changed the Way We Viewed the World > http://t.co/Ugog6Euov1, Jan 21
Cruise PixSylated By Topic