Lighting Persona, the second of my two December presentations in the Event Space at B&H Photo’s NYC superstore, is now on YouTube. In this video, I go through a number of shoots and the ways I shaped light to create the persona of the subject. Although my first session, Multi-Flash Speedliting (here on YouTube) was specific to Canon Speedlites, the concepts in Lighting Persona apply to all types of light — large and small, flash and continuous.
In the presentation, I talk about:
- Deciding Whether You Are a Pictorialist Or a Documentarian
- Why Lighting Is Really About Shadowing
- Controlling Ambient Light For Creative Effect
- Hard and Soft: Shaping Light To Match Your Vision
- Using Gels For Color Correction and Dramatic Effect
For a more detailed look at how I shoot with flash, including footage from a number of studio and location shoots, check out my Multi-Speedlite Course on Kelby Training.
Follow Syl On Twitter
- Researching Antiquarian Photo Books on https://t.co/tbars5lazj https://t.co/ogKSbJB1f8 https://t.co/bZSSZzi75D, Jun 17
- Sticking Our Necks Out To Do The Right Thing https://t.co/GSmBvZF2NB https://t.co/Wo7Zv9H7oB, May 30
- Summer Flash Photography Workshop in Montana https://t.co/XJS2BOtTXV https://t.co/kg1KFCXPQ5, Apr 27
- Recent Works: Fall 2016 https://t.co/ajz7T1i0ba https://t.co/1G9w3pi8Vt, Nov 23
- ‘Color Ribbon 9775’ To Be Shown In NYC At The Aperture Foundation Summer Open 2016 https://t.co/qsZUqL7h2t https://t.co/lDWsCkzQIq, Jun 3
Cruise PixSylated By Topic