Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/56986/domains/pixsylated.com/html/blog/wp-content/themes/platform/includes/class.layout.php on line 164

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/56986/domains/pixsylated.com/html/blog/wp-content/themes/platform/includes/class.layout.php on line 167

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/56986/domains/pixsylated.com/html/blog/wp-content/themes/platform/includes/class.layout.php on line 170

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/56986/domains/pixsylated.com/html/blog/wp-content/themes/platform/includes/class.layout.php on line 173

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/56986/domains/pixsylated.com/html/blog/wp-content/themes/platform/includes/class.layout.php on line 176

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/56986/domains/pixsylated.com/html/blog/wp-content/themes/platform/includes/class.layout.php on line 178

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/56986/domains/pixsylated.com/html/blog/wp-content/themes/platform/includes/class.layout.php on line 180

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/56986/domains/pixsylated.com/html/blog/wp-content/themes/platform/includes/class.layout.php on line 202

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/56986/domains/pixsylated.com/html/blog/wp-content/themes/platform/includes/class.layout.php on line 206

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/56986/domains/pixsylated.com/html/blog/wp-content/themes/platform/includes/class.layout.php on line 229

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/56986/domains/pixsylated.com/html/blog/wp-content/themes/platform/includes/class.layout.php on line 230

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/56986/domains/pixsylated.com/html/blog/wp-content/themes/platform/includes/class.layout.php on line 231

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/56986/domains/pixsylated.com/html/blog/wp-content/themes/platform/includes/class.layout.php on line 321

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/56986/domains/pixsylated.com/html/blog/wp-content/themes/platform/admin/class.options.metapanel.php on line 56

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/56986/domains/pixsylated.com/html/blog/wp-content/themes/platform/admin/class.options.metapanel.php on line 49
First Impressions: Testing Canon's New Speedlite 600EX-RT & Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT | PixSylated

For the past week, I’ve had the good fortune to be able to shoot a trio of Canon’s new 600-EX-RT Speedlites (B&H / Amazon) and the new ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter (B&H / Amazon)). The gear was provided to me by Canon-Europe for evaluation. Next week, you will see my expanded thoughts about putting the system to several tests on their Canon Pro Network site.

If you want the short version of my assessment, then I’ll say “Canonistas, hold your heads high. Again, we are on the cutting edge of technology. Welcome to the future of Speedliting!”

I have a ton of info to share about the new system. I also have a couple of videos coming very soon. In the first (here), I put the new Speedlite system through a number of shoots on location. The second (coming soon) is a detailed tour of all the buttons and dials.

Here are my first impressions and observations:

Two-Way Radio — Canon has broken into new territory by adding 2.4 Ghz radio to the system. For the first time ever, the slaves can send messages to the master. So, not only did I control slaves outside the building, they sent messages back to the master when they recycled. So now, we do not have to guess when remote Speedlites are ready to fire. This is a huge advantage over the previous generations of Speedlites.

Range — I controlled and fired Speedlites from 340′ (100m) away. I was able to switch modes, dial in power and FEC adjustments, etc. This was done in open countryside with no RF interference. In urban environments, the range will be much shorter. The draft user manual that I received states the range at 98′ (30m). Frankly, I’ve never come upon a situation where I wanted to first a Speedlite at 340′.

Sync Speeds — I shot at all sync speeds, up to 1/8000″ in High-Speed Sync, on both my 5DM2 and my 60D. I used both a 600EX-RT Speedlite and the ST-E3-RT transmitter to trigger. In hundreds of frames over the past week, I have not had one sync issue. The manual says that on pre-2012 cameras (anything other than 1D X and 5DM3), the system takes a one-stop hit in sync speed and that HSS is not possible. This will be an interesting area to watch as others begin to use the gear.

The new Group mode allows individual control of up to five groups.

5 Groups / Individual Control — There is a new wireless mode (Group – Gr.) that enables individual control of up to five groups. The mode for each group can be set independently. Each group can be turned on/off at will. To make this work, you must use a 2012 camera (1D X, 5DM3). For me, this functionality is a compelling reason to upgrade both Speedlites and camera.

Larger, Brighter LCD — The dot-matrix LCD is a quantum leap beyond the previous systems. The icons and menu options are easier to read. The backlight can be set at green or orange. I have normal and master modes in green and slave in orange. This made it easy to confirm wireless configuration in dim light. The screen will also turn red if the unit gets too hot (which I have yet to see).

The new LCD is larger, brighter, and sharper. 580EX II on left. 600EX-RT on right.

Interactive Menu System — Thanks to the functionality of the new LCD, the interactive menu system is much more intuitive to control. No longer do we have functions hiding under functions. You just keep pressing the Menu button on the right side to see additional menu options. I go through this in detail in the second video (to be online Friday afternoon).

Dedicated Wireless Button — Far better than the Off-Master-Lever on the 580EX and the Press-And-Hold-Forever button on the 580EX II…we now have a dedicated button for the wireless system. You can see it in the photo below — left side with the sideways flashbolt. The button can be configured to cycle through radio only, optical only, or radio and then optical wireless.

The channel scan shows with of the radio channels are the strongest.

15 Channels, 10,000 Wireless IDs, and a Channel Scanner — The radio works on 15 channels in the 2.4 GHz range. So does your cordless phone, your Bluetooth earbud, your wireless router, and your microwave oven. The channel scanner provides insights on which channels are the cleanest. In addition to the master and slaves being on the same channel, they must also be on the same Wireless ID. Since these run from 0000 to 9999, there are literally 10,000 wireless IDs for every channel.

Wider & Longer Zoom — The zoom now ranges from 20mm to 200mm. For a guy like me, this is a very welcome addition…not because I can shoot flash farther now (which is true). Rather, I like to use the zoom to tighten the pattern of my light and create natural vignettes.

Is The 600EX More Powerful Than The 580EX II?  — In a word, no. Thanks to the 200mm zoom, the Guide Number table has been expanded. If you look at the Guide Number for 105mm, you will find that it matches that of the 580EX II.

How Is The ST-E3-RT Transmitter Different From The 600EX-RT Speedlite? Well, the ST-E3-RT runs on two AA batteries (rather than four). It also lacks the flash head and the Auto-Focus Assist Light. The ST-E3-RT has a sleek, low-profile design. In terms of buttons, dials, and menus, they are basically identical twins. And, yes, I wish that the ST-E3-RT had an AF-Assist light.

Compatibility With 580EX II and Earlier Speedlites — Canon has done a good job of maintaining backwards compatibility with the existing line of Speedlites. The new 600EX-RT system works in radio mode or optical mode — but not both at the same time. This means that you can use the 600EX-RT with earlier generations of EX Speedlites by using optical transmission for wireless mode. Yes, it’s fair to say that, in optical mode, the 600EX-RT a better looking 580EX II.

Dedicated Gel Holder & Gel Sensor — I haven’t shot with this thoroughly yet. The Speedlite came with two gels — presumably a CTO and Half-CTO. There is a sensor on the bottom of the head that will advise the camera of the presence of the gel. One area that I will explore is how this interacts with gels other than CTO and Half-CTO.

Is There A 600EX? There are some countries that do not use the 2.4GHz band for unlicensed wireless devices. I’m told that, in these countries, Canon will sell the Speedlite without wireless using the model name 600EX.

Can the 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT Be Used Anywhere? It’s my understanding that the new system can be used in any country that uses the 2.4 GHz band for unlicensed wireless devices. This includes most of the developed world.

Will The ST-E3-RT Work With The 580EX II? The ST-E3-RT is a radio-only device. The 580EX II is an optical only device. So, no, the ST-E3-RT will not control older Speedlites.

600EX-RT Speedlite on B&H

600EX-RT Speedlite on Amazon

ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter on B&H

ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter on Amazon

In the video: putting the new Speedlites to the test during one crazy shoot.

176 Responses to First Impressions: Testing Canon’s New Speedlite 600EX-RT & Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT

1. Spencer Planton says:

Just read the post abouve about 2nd curtain (rear curtain).

What a pain. STILL no second curtain flash sync with all this new kit – HUH!?!

2. Syl, Thanks for addressing my concerns regarding older (pre-2012) cameras and HSS. I just realized that you never mentioned if the flash was ON or OFF camera while you achieved HSS… I see in the official specs that HSS should function on-camera, but when firing an OFF-CAMERA flash there is no HSS with older (pre-2012) cameras…

So, I know I am beating the heck out of this dead horse but can you please just confirm that you have indeed used the 600EX-RT OFF-CAMERA and achieved HSS with an older camera (like the 5d mkii)

• Syl Arena says:

Wil –

I have used both a 600EX-RT and the ST-E3-RT in the hotshoe of my 5DM2 as the radio master to control 2 or 3 off-camera 600EX-RT in high-speed sync.

• Brent D. says:

Can you see if the flashes work second curtain off Camera…. Im so bummed cause i shoot alot second curtain… Ive always used pocket wizards wich i Hate,, so i went to Pixel Kings.. but with pixel kings there were some thing i didnt like… so than i finally went to Radio Popper.. i go to use radio popper and to come to fine out Canon doesnt have offcamera second curtain… Im praying these new flashes do it… If not i need to get some Pixel kings or phottix odins to work with my 4 new canon flashes that are on back order… talk about expensive..

3. Syl – you are DA’ MAN!!! That is fantastic news. Thanks for taking the time to respond!! Looking foreword to your upcoming videos.

4. David says:

Thanks for the review. I’m starting to think I might have to upgrade my ancient by highly effective 550EX flash units.

5. Olly says:

I was very interested in these! Until I saw it can’t do second curtain sync?..

Everything else looks great, but come on Canon pocket wizard can do it even with your old speedlights!

6. Will says:

Syl, do you know if Canon plans on making a radio receiver that can connect to their older, non-radio speedlights? I have six 580EXIIs and it would be awful expensive to replace all of them with the 600EX RT. Also, do you know if Canon is planning on making a radio receiver only speedlight, like a 430EX R?

Thanks,

Will

7. Mitchel says:

I love the wireless radio instead of IR wireless makes much better sence.

8. Ron says:

Do you know when you are adding the information on the Canon Pro Network…..thanks.

9. Marti Stone says:

Syl- Wondering how the OCF gear fits into this now?

• Syl Arena says:

Marti –

I think the use of long ETTL cords is not going away. Even with the new radio technology, for $65 you can move your 600EX-RT out of the hotshoe and create much better light than it will in the hotshoe. If one has the ST-E3-RT, then the cord becomes unnecessary. Of course, for those working their way into the new system piece by piece, there is a huge price difference between the cost of an OCF cord and the cost of the ST-E3-RT.

10. Ron says:

The ST-E3-RT is on BH now…selling at $319.00 for preorder.

11. […] can get the total break down on the new Speedlite and Transmitter at Syl Arena’s blog He got a hold of a few 600EXs and has produced some videos on their features, so I won’t waste […]

12. James Taylor says:

Syl,

Is there any advantage to using an ST-E3-RT & 600EX-RT combo vs a 600EX-RT & 600EX-RT besides price and size? Does the ST-E3-RT do anything the 600EX-RT doesn’t?

Thanks

• Syl Arena says:

James – Having a pair of 600EX-RT has the distinct advantage of redundancy. If one breaks during a shoot, you have another flash that will make light. That said, the ST-E3-RT is low-profile and much lighter than a 600EX-RT. I find that I gravitate to using the ST-E3-RT unless I need a bit of on-camera fill or bounce flash. Another consideration is that the ST-E3-RT does NOT have the red AF-Assist lamp. So, for low-light shooters, it will likely be an advantage to have a 600EX-RT in the hotshoe rather than the ST-E3-RT.

• James Taylor says:

Thank you for the information – very much appreciated! I have a 600EX-RT on pre-order and was trying to decide if I should go with another 600EX-RT or the ST-E3-RT to start with. Looks like I’ll order another 600EX-RT and save the ST-E3-RT for a later date.

13. Kris says:

I have a question while you are testing the new 600’s. Can I use the 600 in radio mode as radio master and control the 580ex with the radiopopper?
    Thanks

• Syl Arena says:

Kris – I don’t think so. The RadioPopper picks up the electro-magnetic pulse of the master firing the pre-flash code to the slaves and then transmits that via radio to the recievers which then encode it back to an optical signal that is transmitted to the slaves. When the 600EX-RT is firing as a radio master, there is not pre-flash coming from the flashtube and, hence, no EMP to pick up for encoding. The RadioPopper guys are smart. I’m sure they will give it a go somehow.

14. Ron says:

JUst a possibility…
    As far as using 600ex-rt with the studio lights and having the studio units or other flashes having optical slaves and everything in manual..would this also be possible….Can you plug in a radio slave of another type in the pc outlet and let the canon unit be on the hot shoe. With using these camera and the lighting setups today many times the built-in optical slaves do not see the limit flash output. How about using the same configuation and try using the canon units in ettl and the other slave in manual? Might this be possible with maybe a slow sync????

• Syl Arena says:

Ron – I doubt that one could use another radio slave to decipher the signal from the 600EX-RT or ST-E3-RT (at least right now). Remember, the signal coming from the master says much more than “Fire Now!” It contains a whole set of instructions to the slaves. Likewise, the slaves are communicating back to the master after they’ve recycled, etc.

• Ron says:

As usual …I don’t think I am explaining myself very well. Let say you have an St-e3-rt on hot shoe for the 600ex-rt you are using and out of the pc outlet on the side of the 5D Mark II you use, let say for e.g., a PW transceiver to other on the manual studio lights.One would fire the 600ex-rts and other the studio lights. Would this work? Yes or no answer is fine….thanks.

• Syl Arena says:

Ron – Thx for the clarification. It’s my understanding that the PC-sync port is inbound only. So, and this is only a guess, I’d say no. I’ll add this to the list of workarounds to test.

• Ron says:

I was confused on you saying the pc outlet is inbound only. I think you are talking about the canon remote…St-e3-rt port maybe….??? I was talking about the 5D Mark II Pc outlet with a corded radio slave for the manual lights used and using the hot shoe of the camera with a St-e3-rt for the canon flashes in ettl mode. Using the two different remotes at the same time…both on the camera. Still just thought…..thanks.

• Syl Arena says:

Ron – Thanks for setting me straight. I’ll have to test this soon.

• Ron says:

I have checked this…
            If you use the hot shoe for the Canon 600ex-rt unit as master or ST-e3 and then use a pc cord wireless slave on the pc outlet on the side of the camera you can fire both your manual strobes as well as the slaved 600ex-rt units at the same time. Using a 5D mark II.

15. […] PixSylated ran a story earlier this week together with a hands-on review video on the whole new Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite & ST-E3 Speedlite Transmitter.    Click here for the article. […]

16. […] new Speedlite 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT transmitter prior to launch.  There’s a full write-up here at Pixsylated. And a video of the duo in action here at […]

17. IJG_DR says:

Syl-great video, much appreciated content, looking forward to your second installment. In the meantime, does the ST-E3 control speedlite zoom function remotely like the Phottix Odin does?

18. Gerry says:

I wonder if the firmware can be updated on 600ex rt flash or the st-e3-rt transmitter?

19. Nibby Walace says:

Hey Syl, thanks for a great video. When’s part two coming??

20. Hi Syl where in the uk could i get a long ETTL cord ?? do you supply them ??

Love your book

Warren

21. Lorris Keizer says:

Hi
    Review very helpful but could you confirm if system (flash & controller) have a sleep or save energy mode which is critical for doing many types of photography including wildlife?

22. very much speedliter says:

Hi Syl! thanks for all the info. The GN is a very big concern to me. I cannot find any numbers other than at 20mm and 200mm.
    You said “If you look at the Guide Number for 105mm, you will find that it matches that of the 580EX II.” Are you saying that 600EX is as powerful as 580EX II? Would you be so kind to post here more numbers from the table (I’m assuming you have the manual)?
    Something like the one below, which is for 580EX II:
    zoom, mm: 14 24 28 35 50 70 80 105
    GN, m: 15 28 30 36 42 50 53 58

23. Brent D. says:

Does the flash do remote Second Curtain… as of date non of canon remote systems can do off camera second curtain.. Very frustrating cause you will still need 3rd party devices to achieve this..

24. Brent D. says:

Hi,, thanks for your infor…
    Question.. even with the Firmware Update.. 5d mark ii cant shoot High speed sink with the new flashes,, and you can have all the benefits unless you have a 5d mark iii?

25. DWDALLAM says:

So the new 600s will only be released as flash+radio in the US? This is a hard hit to PW because those who need new flashes will be forced, at some point, to invest in the new radio controlled flashes. This means throwing away the extra money for the built in radio, and then using PW’s they already own, or just using the Canon system outright.

I’ll bet most people will simply go to the full Canon system. If you need to control studio flashes with Canon’s flash guns, then you’ll need to buy the flash with it’s radio price, and then use the PW on top of that.

I’m betting that the current Flex transceiver will be able to control the new 600s using the 600’s internal radio system, minus the same restricted options for the Canon system (rear curtain flash). This means you’ll be able to use studio strobes along with flash guns if you use the Flex system.

Still, the compactness of the all in one radio system from Canon is very attractive. It would reduce my carry load significantly, since I have a dedicated case for the TT5 Flex system along with the flashes, in one case.

26. […] sure to check out Syl Arena’s testing of the Canon Speedlite and Transmitter.  This is where I got the majority of the […]

27. James says:

“It’s too bad Canon won’t be updating it’s receivers and transceiver using firmware, like the Flex system. This means that you won’t see any ability to use rear curtain nor any control of studio strobes. You’ll need to upgrade your entire kit, instead of downloading a free firmware file.”

What makes you think they won’t be doing this? Seems like it would be possible to update the firmware in the flash through the camera? Probably need a 2012 camera to do this 😀

• Mike Marks says:

Can the firmware of the 600-ex-rt and st-e3-rt be updated?

• Syl Arena says:

Mike – No mention of ability to update Speedlite firmware has been made by Canon. Some are thinking that this would be possible through the hotshoe of a camera — perhaps limited to 2012 models. Again, this is speculation, not news from Canon.

28. […] a link to Syl Arena’s blog where he provides his first impressions of these fabulous units.  Click here. Share this:ShareEmailDigg This entry was posted in Photography. Bookmark the permalink. Follow […]

29. Mike Marks says:

Is there any info when the 600ex-rt and st-e3-rt will be available on store shelves? Thanks

30. Nita Gulbas says:

Is it safe to assume that the 600EX-RT channel can coincide with a PW attached to older speedlights as well as studio lights that have built in PW triggers?

31. Ron says:

No new info in a week what is going on….I am starting to think the units [600ex-rts] they gave you were too generous in features.
    Tomorrow I will have units that I can check out in detail. Will I find out that pre-produstion units are the same as the ones you tested. It seems on line there has been a black out on how these work with pre-2012 cameras. Are the units tied to the 2012 units more than what you tested. Why no new info in weeks…why no video on Canon site which you thought would be up two weeks ago. Do most bloggers do it for income more than dispensing info? Just thinking………THANKS.

32. Ron says:

Received two 600ex-rts this morning. I am using one as a master and the other as a slave. A lot to understand in the menus but that will take care of itself with time. What I have seen with my 5D Mark II is the same results posted by Syl. So no surprises there… I saw someone asking about HV cord type…that is the same as the 580ex series. As far as second curtain in my little time with the unit…it doesn’t seem possible.

33. Alicia says:

Hi Syl,

I want to start off by saying that I’ve been immersed in reading your stuff for hours. I did a google search for HSS and saw your awesome pumpkin smashing images and then just got lost in reading everything! 🙂

I have a question. As a wedding photographer often shooting in very low light conditions, I find that having the AF beam to help with focus is imperative.

For this new kit combo, the transmitter doesn’t have a hot shoe like the new PW’s or the RP’s do. So, is it possible then to mount a flash onto the camera while still using the transmitter to trigger the 600 EX’s?

It seems that the 600EX paired with the transmitter can break boundaries in terms of being able to be on the other side of walls, etc. and still get reliable flash fires (based on the video you posted.) I’ve never been able to get reliable OCF during a wedding reception (putting a flash across the room as a backlight for example.) So, if there’s a way to keep the flash on the hotshoe of the camera and still use the transmitter to trigger the OCF 600EX’s, then this is something I’d be most interested in looking into further.

With that said, even when you had the OCF’s outside of the house and were shooting inside, you were really close to the units in proximity. Have you done any real world testing of being at a greater distance (still with obstructions) from the units to see if they work?

Thank you so much for your awesome wealth of knowledge and information. I am considering doing a workshop with you. I am an established photographer but HSS really excites me and I want to take my work to that next level.

-Alicia

34. Awe man! I just finished paying off my 580exii! *Kidding*
    Thanks for the teaser Syl! I look forward to seeing/hearing more on the new flash models!

35. Chris says:

Do you think if I have few ST-E3-RT it could replace pocket wizard or any other remote triggers with studio lights maybe?

• Syl Arena says:

Chris –

The ST-E3-RT is designed to fire with the new 600EX-RT only. If you use the ST-E3-RT and 600EX-RT with the Speedlite mode in Manual, there is no pre-flash. This means that you can trigger studio flash via their built-in optical slaves–meaning that the 600EX-RT will trigger the optical slaves when it fires for the shot. Also, if I were a betting man, I’d wager that a 3rd-party manufacturer will eventually come up with a radio trigger that will fire studio packs when the ST-E3-RT and 600EX-RT issues it’s “Fire Now” command. This would enable the use of the new system in ETTL while firing studio lights.

36. Paul says:

Hi there,

This is going to sound really lame after reading the other questions. Ive read so much now that I’m confused.

All I want to do is have one 600ex-rt & use it off camera with no sync lead.
    I have a 5D2 & a 7D.
    Is it possible for either of these cameras to fire the flash like this?
    If it is could you explain to me how please @ if it cannot. E done what do I need to make this possible.

Thank you so much for your time.

Paul.

• Syl Arena says:

Paul – You can control the 600EX-RT directly from your 7D via the built-in, pop-up flash. Look for External Speedlite Control (or similar) on the camera LCD menu. The 600EX-RT must be set to optical slave (rather than radio). the 5DM2 does not have this capability as it does not have a pop-up flash. The range of the pop-up is limited to 15′ in bright light. Also, the slave must be in front of the camera so that it can see the camera’s flash. For greater distance and the ability to move the slave in a much wider arc, use the ST-E3-RT in the hotshoe on either camera. Then you can control the 600EX-RT via the radio system.

37. Paul says:

Thank you for the quick & concise reply
    Got the 600ex-rt today so I’ll try it out as soon as.

Once again thank you very much.

Paul.

38. Edward says:

I am curious if you have a Mark IV sitting around. I received my 4 new 600’s and was playing with them on my Mark IV. The setup was 2 flashes Group B as a key light off camera left- these were in ETTL, 1 flash in Group C with a snoot acting as a back light from behind- this flash was in manual mode 1/4 power, On camera flash group A and disable. Flash was in Master Radio Group mode. Shooting ISO 200 f8 500th flash comp +1 3/4. Every shot perfect!!! I could not understand what limitations they were talking about with the flashes and the older cameras. The next day I made some custom functions changes in the flash to make them work the way I would like them to. Now they will only work in the basic radio mode. No ratios, no groups, no manual. It is the strangest thing. I tried resting the flashes and no luck. Just curious if your Mark II ran all the functions.

As a side note they are sick on my Mark III!!! As a wedding photographer I am baffled about the no AF assist on the new STE-3. There is even a hole where it goes.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Cheers

39. Morten says:

Thanks for the great tour of the new canon flash system. Having enjoyed it left me with a question unanswered. Is it possible to have one canon 600ex speedlite bring radio controlled and another 580ex ii with a TTL cord also being off camera? Or mounted on the hotshoe of the camera?

40. Hey buddy, sitting on pins and needles for the second video…

41. Fredi says:

Hi Syl,

I do own two of the 600 ex-rt and the controller… My problem: No way I could get a higher sync speed than 1/200 with my 5D mkII …and the group function works either.

Any idea?

Thx a lot,
    Fredi (Switzerland)

42. Fredi says:

Hi,
    I have to correct my last statement, after having activated the HSS mode on the ST-E3-RT it worked perfect!

The only thing which does not work is the group function… So workaround is to walk and change it manually on each 600ex-rt.

Thx,
    Fredi

43. Rick Sneath says:

Hi Syl,

I’m so impressed with these new flashes I bought 3 of them and an ST E3 controller. Only one thing, why can’t you change the zoom from the ST E3 ?, bit of a shame.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is where do you buy those cold shoe brackets on your C stands in the video?

Many thanks, love your work.

44. KArl says:

I pick up a set of these a week ago. I used it for a High School Senior shoot today and it was simply amazing. I pumped the flash through a 15X15 inch softbox and the results were simply amazing.

45. Dave Seyler says:

I recently received three of the 600EX-RT’s, and have been experimenting with them, using my Canon 7D.
    I have been trying to set up a master (off camera on a 30′ OCF TTL cord) with two slaves, with all three in manual flash mode.
    I want everything in radio mode.
    I cannot seem to be able to control the settings (e.g., flash power) of the slaves with the 7D’s on-camera flash settings menu. I can control the master from the camera menu, though.
    If I change the setting in the 7D menu to “wireless mode”, it just changes the communication mode on the master flash to “optical”. So, I am leaving the 7D menu wireless option disabled.
    Therefore, I have to physically go to the master flash (on TTL cord) to adjust the power of the slaves.
    How can I control settings on my 600EX-RT slave flashes directly from my 7D on-camera menu using radio communication?
    Maybe someone has found a solution……..
    Dave

46. Dave Seyler says:

After further study of the manual, I am led to believe that what I want to do is not possible with my 7D (2010 mfg.) It says that I must go to the master 600EX-RT to control the 600EX-RT slaves. Not from the 7D on-screen menu. Too bad. I wonder if this could be “fixed” with a firmware upgrade?
    Dave

47. Dave Seyler says:

In a past post, Syl had made mention of experimenting with other gels for the 600EX-RT. I have cut a few from Rosco gels (other than the CTO supplied with the unit). The only thing I’ve noticed so far is that when one of these “non-standard” gels is in place, the flash displays the character, “!” on the screen. I’m not sure that this would have any effect firing in manual mode, but, I guess that it might effect other modes (?)
    Not sure how this works, yet.

One other question I have about cutting my own gels to fit the 600EX’s holder is how to directly label them, so I can tell which one I have. Canon supplies them with tiny white printing, but, I’m not sure of the best way to replicate that. I’ve made a template for cutting the gels with a razor knife, which is quicker than cutting with scissors. You can make 2 gels from each sample in the Roscolux 3″x5″ sample book. It sure appears to be easier using rectangular gels velcro’d to the sides of the flash, or with the Honl speed strap. Other opinions?
    Dave

48. WOW! Can I totally control the slave flash output from my camera (from the master flash)??? This would be awesome!

49. Ben says:

Syl,
    Your article talks about shooting at 1/8000th in high speed sync mode. Can the 600 work like the pocketwizard tt5s in the mode they call hypersync.

Hope i am asking the question properly. I just want to see if you can trigger the 600 at full power with a 1/8000th shutter speed as opposed to pulsing the flashes at reduced power.

Thanks,